In the 50s, 60s and 70s, the French connection was the biggest heroin trafficking spot to feed the United States and Canada. The organization started from Marseille. Over 80% of the heroin consumed in the US came from France. In the 50s, 60s and 70s, the French connection was the biggest heroin trafficking ring to the United States and Canada. Marseille was the starting point for the traffic of heroin consumed by Americans. At the time, over 80% of the heroin consumed in the US is French. In Marseille, the morphine base used to make heroin smuggled from Turkey, Asia, Shanghai or Syria by boats. Clandestine laboratories were installed inside rented villas in the back country whereMarseille chemists produced a heroine who was said 98% pure. In the 70′s under the leadership of Judge Michel and the police of Marseiile, this network was under pressure. It is in this decade that the term “French Connection” is pronounced. US President Richard Nixon declared war on the scourge of heroin in 1971. In the 71/72 years the network of the French connection is hit regarding the work of the judge Michel and Marseille Police with the assistance of American police. In response to this determination, the judge was murdered in 1981 in Marseille by two men on a motorcycle. For 50 years, the “Middle” Marseilles and the Italian-American mafia organized the world’s largest heroin trafficking between France and the United States. Provence French Riviera Tourism takes you to the mythical places and make you meet characters who lived these moments to make you re-live again strong episodes of the French Connection
Day 1: Marseille, the heart of the French Connection
- 9 AM : Departure for the tour to the footprints of Guerini Brothers and Gaetan Zampa. The route leads you into the “Panier zone” where the most powerful gang of Marseille guys organized the traffic in the 60 and 70. Guerini’s clan is one of the largest and most powerful and organized gang in Europe at this time. Those two brothers developped networks of French Connection (international drug trafficking in the US direction) inherited from Carbone an Spirito. Gaetan Zampa will recover Guerini empire after the fall of the clan in 1968 and keep going with this activity.
- Visit iconic locations: The two brothers, the brothers Guerini, Corsicans Calenzana who grew up in the down town of Marseille “Panier zone” and Gaetan Zampa native of the district La Cayolle in Marseille: Maison Guerini, the old Annabel, the neighborhood of the opera, the phone bar (Le bar du telephone), an old house drug treatment, the bar of Tanagra, the prison of the Beaumettes neighborhood Cayolle the Dirty Cape …
Dinner in a mythical restaurant inside the “Pannier Zone” former spot of the Corsica banditry, living testimony of the Headquarters of Gaëtan Zampa. Private Screening – film of the history of French Connection and its highlights with the presence of the writer and journalist JOSE DARRIGO which covered periods at the time and policeman who have lived events in the 70/71th.
Dinner with surprise “back in the 70th”.
Accommodation at the hotel of the chosen category
Day 2: Marseille and the end of the French Connection
There was the drug war between France and the United States in the 1970th. At this time heroin “Made in Marseille”, renowned for its high quality, wreaking havoc in the streets of America. The overdose deaths hit across America, and particularly in New York. The US government is powerless to organized trafficking with impunity by the “French Connection” Corsicans Truands, based in Marseille.
Meeting and talking with witnesses of the French Connection that will make you relive the highlights: the writer José Darrigo former journalist who covered the events and a former police officer Gilles emblematic figure, who will accompany you during the tour (with your translator in your language ). Visit iconic landmark on the French Connection: The judge Michel transferred to Marseille in 1975, began a crusade against heroin traffickers of the “French Connection.” His number one enemy becomes Gaetan Zampa, the sponsor of the local underworld.
The judge made numerous arrests series. In the space of three years more than 500 traffickers have been apprehended.
Visits: Where the office US office and US DEA was in the Republic Street; the Evêchée (central police station); the City of Marseille; Le Corbusier, the path of Michel judge; manufacturing houses of the drugs… And the courthouse where in 1974 in Marseille the largest trial of the French Connection was held. A pathway with unpublished comments !
Lunch in a typical “Marseillaise atmosphere”in a popular restaurant, «à la bonne franquette »
Dinner “bouillabaisse dish”, special
Accommodation at the hotel of the chosen category
SCHEDULE 2016 DEPARTURES
July 15 -22,
August 13 -26,
September 9 -23,
The price includes: guaranteed prices based on 6 people
* A van with a bilingual driver and guide during two days
* 2 nights in the category of the chosen hotel (basis 3 *** – possibility of staying in 4 ****)
* A professional guide in your language accompanied by a former Marseille police narrator who lived through the French Connection
* The tour of all the landmarks of the French connection with unpublished comments on sites
* A private projection – historical retrospective of the French Connection in Marseille
* Meet and exchange (French English) with a speaker writer who lived the French Connection
* Dinner at the heart of the headquarter of Zampa – (private dinner in the heart of the Panier zone)
* Lunch in a restaurant of Marseille inside a “Marseillaise atmosphere”
* A Bouillabaisse dinner * A surprise “back in time”
* Possibility to extend your stay on request with a personalized program in Marseille and around
The price does not include :
* Your transport (plane, train or other) to the meeting area for the start of your program (depending on your time of arrival or departure must be provided an additional night), supports all cities and airports in France (Paris and the airports France)
* Personal drinks and expenses, extras.
* The lunches or dinners not included inside the program left to your discretion as your inspiration
* City tax at the hotel (to be paid directly at the hotel upon departure from the hotel)
* Tips * Cancellation insurance (optional)
* Everything that is not indicated in “the price includes”
For technical reasons certain elements of the program may be modified or replaced, the circuit and our rates are susceptible to change up to 30 days before arrival, mainly based on state taxes and local taxes and number of participants. In fact, the cancellation of one or more participants involves a changing rate.
Hotel taxes are not included in our programs, they are variable, and will be demanded directly by the hotels before your leaving. The taxes can be different between the hotels even if they are in a same standard or have same stars.
CANCELLATION IN HIGH SEASONS
Regardless of the cancellation fees set out in our terms and conditions, some providers and hotels may apply different rules in high seasons. These terms of payment and cancellation will be specified in each reservation. You will be informed right after your booking . It happens that the hotels require the total booking value in case of cancellation.